October 4, 2021
Employment Opportunity - Wind Systems Junior Engineer/Researcher
The Wind Energy Institute of Canada
(WEICan), located in North Cape, PEI, is a not-for-profit research organization
that has been advancing the development of wind energy across Canada through
research, testing, innovation, and collaboration since 1981.
WEICan owns and operates a Wind
R&D Park that features five 2 MW wind turbines, a 109 kW photovoltaic
array, and a 111.5 kW/223 kWh battery energy storage system.
Reporting to the Scientific Director, the Wind Systems
Junior Engineer/Researcher is responsible for the development, implementation, and ongoing
operation of testing and technology development projects. The Engineer/Researcher is responsible for working
with data and data analysis, using analytical software tools, to support WEICan
operations and client projects. The Engineer/Researcher will also support the designing,
implementing, testing, and monitoring of WEICan’s wind energy measurement and
data management systems.
Principle Responsibilities and Accountability:
- Assist in the development and execution of operations and
research programs involving the Wind R&D Park in accordance with current
best practices and industry findings.
- Support implementation, configuring, commissioning, and troubleshooting
of measurement and data acquisition and data management systems.
- Maintain current knowledge of Wind R&D Park turbine
operation and control systems.
- Perform ongoing data quality analysis, including longer-term
data analysis using WEICan data in accordance with standards such as IEC and
- Collaborate in the writing of academic papers with researchers and
present findings at conferences. Prepare presentations for others within the
Institute. Prepare equipment
documentation procedures, troubleshooting, service, and technical reports and
present technical results.
- Assist wind
turbine technicians with field work including turbine inspections,
troubleshooting, scheduled/unscheduled maintenance, meteorological tower, and
small turbine work.
- Remain current with information on technical trends, research,
applications, and effective practices related to the wind energy, photovoltaic,
and energy storage industries.
- Interface with project team and management to understand
project and corporate deliverables to execute work in appropriate and timely
- Organize and participate in safety related training and the
Institute’s safety responsibilities.
- Mentor students and interns working with WEICan.
- Liaise with
contractors, suppliers, and utility grid operators.
- Work with
sensitive and confidential information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Training:
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, computer science, or
science/technology. Graduate degree is an asset.
- College diploma with appropriate experience in electrical
and instrumentation design, industrial automation and implementation may also
The following experiences/skills/knowledge would be
considered an asset for the successful candidate:
- General exposure to the renewable energy industry.
of the electricity grid.
in digital control and data acquisition systems, such as SEL’s RTAC; protection
relays; and automation and SCADA platforms, such as VTS and Ignition.
programming and configuring
data logging systems and analysis computations such as via LabVIEW or Campbell
- Research experience.
in project management.
in CSA, CEC, and the IEC wind turbine standards.
- Experience with instrumentation and signal wiring, low
voltage electrical wiring standards.
- Experience with meteorological field instrumentation.
- Experience with storing and analyzing large amounts of data.
- Knowledge of wind power production technologies.
- Functional knowledge of AutoCAD including preparing basic
electrical drawings, interpreting drawings and extracting relevant information.·
- Knowledge of computer systems, data communication systems
and software, including Microsoft Office, OPC servers, and OSIsoft PI system.
- Ability to climb wind turbines and perform maintenance on
turbine control systems.
- Ability to work independently.Ability to work with sensitive and confidential
- Excellent communications skills: interpersonal, listening,
oral, written, and presentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an
How to apply
- The position primarily involves work in an office
environment. Some field work will be
involved in support of technical projects both at WEICan and remotely. Field work may include climbing wind turbine
towers and wind monitoring towers.
- The position requires intermittent travel. Candidate must be able to hold a passport.
- Candidate must be
able to maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
- The position
requires flexible work hours.
- Work location is
North Cape, PE
be considered for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Wind
Systems Junior Engineer/Scientist in the subject line.
Deadline: October 25, 2021
supports diversity and inclusion is its employment practices.Thank you
to all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be